IRCC has made some changes to the The Express Entry comprehensive ranking system:

The points you can get for a job offer has changed.
  • A job offer now only need to be for a minimum of one year from the time you become a permanent resident. 
  • You can now earn CRS points for study in Canada above high school.
    • you can earn 15 points for a one- or two-year diploma or certificate
    • you can earn 30 points for a degree, diploma or certificate of three years or longer, or for a Master’s, professional or doctoral degree of at least one academic year.
  • You now have more time to complete an application for permanent residence if you get an invitation to apply.
    • Applicants will now have 90 days to apply for permanent residence, instead of 60 days.
  • An LMIA will no longer be needed for certain qualifying job offers to receive CRS points as well as points for arranged employment under the Federal Skilled Worker Class. Many people in Canada on an LMIA exempt work permit will be able to carry that LMIA exemption under Express Entry, including those:
    • here under the North America Free Trade Agreement
    • here under a federal-provincial agreement
    • here under Mobilité Francophone or
    • are an intra-company transferee

    as long as they meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer.

Note:  Not everyone will be affected by the changes to the Express Entry system. If you think you are not affected, there is nothing you need to do.

If you think the changes affect you, you should:

  1. Log into your online account and update your Express Entry profile by answering the new questions we added to the system.
  2. After you update your profile, the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) will update your score

If you would like to know if these changes affect you, please contact us today at or (250) 979-0422 (tel).