Family Sponsorship

chineseCanadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada can sponsor the spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative (such as a parent or grandparent) to become a Canadian permanent resident.

When you arrive in Canada as a permanent resident, you can live, study and work here but must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own and those of your family essential needs.

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives here. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek financial assistance from the government.

Certain provinces, such as Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Prince Edward Island, offer family members sponsorship programs to reunite families. If you have a close relative who lives in any of these provinces, they may be able to sponsor you and your family members under this program provided that they meet the eligibility criteria.

For more information on these programs, click on the button below: