Study/Visit/Work Temporarily

studyworkWhether you are visiting Canada to enjoy the many opportunities our country has to offer or studying in Canada to broaden your knowledge and skills, you can be certain that you will enjoy your stay in Canada.

Every year more than 5 million people visit Canada to enjoy the many opportunities our country has to offer. Depending on where you live and the reason for your visit, you will need to meet certain entry requirements. In some cases, if you plan to stay in Canada for a certain period of time, you will need a as a Visitor, Student or Worker. At Cando Immigration, we can assist you with this process as well as extensions to your current status.

Temporary Visa

Canadian citizens and Canadian Permanent Residents have the right to enter Canada freely. Other visitors to Canada, including tourists, students, and workers, may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to enter Canada. You do not need a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada if you are from a visa-exempt country. Citizens from all other countries must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa before entering Canada.

Unless you come from a visa exempt country or if you plan on staying in Canada as a visitor for longer than 6 months, you will need a Visitor Permit. Typically, Visitor Permits are valid for 6 months at a time.

Study Permit

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year and even more come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students are always welcome and add a rich culture to our classrooms and campuses. As a student, if your studies will last less than six months in Canada, then no Study Permit is required. Any studies beyond six months require a Study Permit, in addition to a Temporary Resident Visa, if you are not from a visa-exempt country.

Work Permit

Temporary workers enter Canada for a period of time to fill critical skill shortages. These workers are usually provided with a Temporary Work Permit before leaving their home country. There are many ways to qualify for a Work Permit. In some situations, the Canadian employer must demonstrate that they were unable to find Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents to fill the position.